Thursday, April 4, 2019

DIY Flaxseed Gel

I’m so excited about my new flaxseed hair gel for my curly hair.  It works surprisingly well and is super easy and inexpensive to make.  I was watching Shark Tank, one of my favorite shows, and a couple of women were launching their own flaxseed gel product.  The results on how it worked on curly hair was amazing so I was inspired to try it myself since a small bottle costs about $25.  I love that it is a natural, organic product that is made from food!  My hair is curly and very frizzy without product.  The gel held my curls well with no frizz.  Love how it left my curls feeling soft and not crunchy like many other gels I've tried.  The flaxseeds are nourishing for the hair with omega 3s, so it is non-drying too. 






I added the gel to my hair while damp and then crunched my curls.  Works like a charm!

Ingredients
¼ cup of whole flax seeds
2 cups of water

Instructions:
1.      Add 2 cups of water and ¼ cup of flaxseeds in a pot.
2.     Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer
3.     Simmer for about 45 to 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.  The longer you simmer the thicker the gel is the stronger the hold.
4.     Place a strainer or towel over and bowl and pour the mixture in.
5.     If using a towel squeeze into the seeds and gel are separated.  I found the towel to be messy so I will try a fine mesh strainer next time.
6.     Let cool and place in a jar with a few drops of your favorite pure essential oil if desired. 
7.     Place in the fridge.  Will last a couple of weeks.
8.     You can save the seeds to reuse them again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

7 Ways to Reduce Our Food Waste to Help Mitigate Climate Change

Did you know food waste is a major contributor to climate change? An average American consumer wastes about one pound of food per day accor...