Thursday, June 6, 2019

Snack ideas for the Summer!

Summer is approaching quickly which may mean kids are home and are wanting to eat you out of house and home, at least I know that will be the situation for me and my two girls.  I always like to have a lot of fruit on hand.   A variety of berries, watermelon, peaches, plums and cherries are some of our favorite summer fruits.  I also like to have cut of veggies in the fridge at eye level which I store in a glass container so it easy for them to see and grab on their own.  My girls love cut up carrots, cucumbers, and peppers in all colors.  I usually just cut up enough to last a few days as they tend to get limp quickly.

Aside from lots of fruits and veggies, goat cheese and almond flour crackers is one of our go snacks as well as hummus and veggies, raw nuts, nut butter/ rice cake sandwiches, chips and guacamole, and apples dipped in nut butter.  Organic plain full fat yogurt drizzled with maple syrup or honey and some fruit is also a healthy option as well as celery, sun butter, and raisins. 

As for packaged snacks, here are some I like to keep on hand.  All these snacks have minimal amounts of sugar and are free of unhealthy oils, food dyes, artificial flavors, and artificial sweeteners.  I shared the Amazon link below but many of these products can be found at better prices at either at Vitacost, Thrive Market, Trader Joe’s or your local grocery store. 

*  Veggie Gos (like a fruit leather with only 2 grams of natural sugar) 

*  Chomps Meat sticks  (Can be found at Trader Joe’s in two different flavors, beef and turkey)


*  Larabars

*  Made Good Granola bars (I haven’t tried these because we don’t eat oats but I hear they are kid approved.)






 Hopefully this list helps prepare you for having some healthy snack options on hand. One more weeks until school is out for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

7 Ways to Reduce Our Food Waste to Help Mitigate Climate Change

Did you know food waste is a major contributor to climate change? An average American consumer wastes about one pound of food per day accor...