Friday, September 6, 2019

Friday Night Snack Boards

Who appreciates a night off from cooking, especially on a Friday?! I made my first snack board for a Sunday, afternoon football game with the fam.  I’m not a big football or sports gal but my husband is and I LOVE food, so I always look forward to a good excuse to play around in the kitchen.  The boards then evolved into Friday Night Snack boards as I realized that there was little to no cooking, super easy, a fun activity for the family to create, little dishes, crowd pleasing, and nutritious.  These boards have become our Friday night tradition, and something the girls love and look forward to.  Snack boards are a great way to satisfy everyone’s tastes and are a fun way to get the kids involved in dinner prep, which I think is always a win.   

We start with a large wooden cutting board, or a cookie sheet works great too.  My girls and I go through the fridge together, trying to find veggies to represent each color in the rainbow.  This is a great way to encourage eating a variety of veggies containing a variety of nutrients. I do the chopping and then we work on the creative, artistic part together, layout.  We make sure our board contain veggies, protein, starch, and a healthy fat like avocado. A few things I like to have on hand for our boards are: a spread for dipping, crackers or rice cakes for mini sandwiches, lettuce or nori squares for mini wraps, meats, cheese, seafood, eggs, nuts and seeds for protein.



Below is a list of some ingredients we like to use:
Simple Mills Almond Flour Crackers
Thin Stacker Rice Cakes
Nori squares
lettuce
Sweet Potato fries
Goat or sheep cheese
Hummus
Organic Turkey
Salmon salad
Hard boiled eggs
Raw nuts
Raw seeds
Fermented Veggies
Avocado

Veggies to represent all the colors in the rainbow (if you are looking for a fun challenge)

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

7 Ways to Reduce Our Food Waste to Help Mitigate Climate Change

Did you know food waste is a major contributor to climate change? An average American consumer wastes about one pound of food per day accor...