Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Our visit to Dickey Hill Farm

Last weekend my family visited Dickey Hill Farm, my sister Noami and my brother in law, James’ farm, in Monroe Maine.  My sister Shana, her boyfriend Hallel, and my cousin Tisha also joined us.  It was a fun filled, extra special family weekend! 


We always have a blast going there and helping out with farm chores. Last weekend, we fed the cows hay, hunted eggs for breakfast, helped open and close the two high tunnels, stacked fire wood to heat the house, and cleaned and weighed 60 pounds of carrots.   The carrots are so sweet and keep well all winter long.  It always amazes me the difference in taste between fresh and store bought carrots, among many other foods as well.  The girls got to pick and sample some sweet baby kale which Ayla said was her favorite part of the whole weekend!  Simple pleasures. 









I love that my girls have the opportunity to experience farm life, learn about where our food comes from, and learn to appreciate all the hard work their Auntie and Uncle do to provide food for people. 

We, of course, always eat well when we visit.  Fresh eggs for breakfast, chicken sandwiches and carrots for lunch, an amazing kale, butternut squash,  sausage soup, and a roasted chicken, with mashed squash, and a rooted veggie bake.

It is amazing to think that Noami and James rarely go to the grocery store, especially since I go at least twice a week.  They are fortunate to grow all their own veggies, and raise their own cows, chickens, and sometimes pigs.  They do weekly trades with other farmers at the farmer’s markets for their cheese, yogurt, butter, bread, flours etc.

Oftentimes, I find myself picking convenience over fresh and local.  But after a quick visit at the farm, it reminds me that buying my meats and eggs especially from a local farm is important to me and is worth the added trip. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

7 Ways to Reduce Our Food Waste to Help Mitigate Climate Change

Did you know food waste is a major contributor to climate change? An average American consumer wastes about one pound of food per day accor...