Thursday, February 21, 2019

Whipped Body Butter

Today, I’m grateful for my DIY whipped body butter.  I keep a small mason jar of  body butter in my purse since my winter hands are always dry!   It smells amazing, like chocolate, and works great on my dry skin.  Unfortunately the cosmetic industry is highly unregulated.  Many lotions are full of endocrine disruptors so knowing exactly what is in my lotion offers me peace of mind.   My family uses all nontoxic skincare products which can be expensive.  It is always nice to find a few easy recipes that I can make to help make it a little more affordable. 

A few of my girlfriends and I got together to make our first batch.  It was a fun girls night out.  Something a little different than dinner and wine which is also fun.  We started getting together monthly to DIY!  So far we have made beeswax candles, lip balm, lotion, essential oil rollers, and hand sanitizer.  Next up... kimchi and elderberry syrup!



Ingredients
¼ cup shea butter
¼ cup cocoa butter
¼ cup coconut oil

Instructions:
1.    Combine all ingredients in a double boiler. You can create one by taking a pot and filling it with a few inches of water and then putting a stainless steel or glass pot inside the pot.  You do not want any water to get in the bowl as it will change the consistency.  Keep a close eye on the water.  You may need to refill the pot with water as it evaporates.  I have come close to burning my pots this way so just a heads up!
2.    Melt and stir over med-low heat until liquid.
3.    Remove from heat and allow mixture to partially set.
4.    Place in fridge or freezer to speed up the process but make sure to keep a close eye on it. 
5.    Once mixture is partially set, whip with hand mixer until body butter is fluffy and peaks form.
6.    Spoon into a glass jar. 
This recipe is slightly modified from The Prairie Homestead.




No comments:

Post a Comment

7 Ways to Reduce Our Food Waste to Help Mitigate Climate Change

Did you know food waste is a major contributor to climate change? An average American consumer wastes about one pound of food per day accor...